It's July 1st hopefully that means more time outside and with the Patio Canopy, it means you can spend even more time outdoors. We were delighted to have Mark Doe of Just Cooking Cookery School cater for our recent barbecue. Along with BBQ meats, he had a lovely Caesar salad to accompany it and we have the recipe below:
Caesar Salad -Serves 6
For the dressing
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 anchovy fillets, chopped
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Juice from ¼ lemon 300ml mayonnaise 3 tablespoons boiling water
4 tablespoons grated Parmesan
Sea salt and black pepper
For the salad
1 baguette, cut into slices
2 tablespoons rapeseed or olive oil
4 streaky bacon rashers, cut into thin strips
2 heads of romaine lettuce or 4 heads of baby gem lettuce
- To make the dressing place the garlic, anchovies, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, lemon juice and mayonnaise in a food processor. Blend until smooth. With the food processor running add a few tablespoons of boiling water until the dressing is the consistency of thick cream. Add the parmesan cheese and season if required.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Place the baguette slices in a bowl and toss with the oil. Place on a baking tray and bake for 6-8 minutes or until golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Heat a frying pan and add a little oil. Fry the bacon until crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and drain on kitchen towel.
- To assemble: wash and dry the lettuce and break into bite-size pieces. Place the lettuce in a large bowl and dress with about
2-3 tablespoons of the caesar dressing. Toss the leaves in the dressing until all the leaves are nicely coated. The leaves should be lightly dressed and not clumped together. Add more dressing a little at a time if required. Add the bacon and toss. Place the salad in a serving dish, sprinkle with Parmesan and baguette slices and serve.
– Dress the salad just as you are about to serve it.
Thanks to Mark and his wife Bernie for the recipe.